Saturday, April 23, 2011

MANTRAS



Perhaps it is the Easter season that has brought me to such a spiritual place. It does not matter what brought me to the writing table peering into the eternal, just that I am here and delighting once again in writing.

Almost every day I start the day with some reading, usually a biography. But this week I also spent some morning reading time with my mantras. These are now four dozen yellow index cards that I have been keeping for the past five years with writings and quotes that inspire me, keep hope alive and ward off despair. Here are some of them and their authors.

"Miracles are events and people that occur in your life that allow love to be expressed."
(Jack Shea in his 1992 book, "Starlight.") My life has been full of miracles.

"God can best be understood in the love parents show for their children." (excerpt from a homily on Holy Thursday by Fr. John Cusick) I am the oldest son of two of the most loving parents that walked this earth.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11-12)

"The most certain sign of wisdom is cheerfulness." (from an essay by Michel deMontaigne)


Happy Easter


Voltaire

1 comment:

  1. Since I generally try to be a cheerful person, I love the one on cheerfulness. Never thought of it as being a sign of wisdom, but makes sense.

    ReplyDelete