Sunday, March 28, 2010

DICK KELLY, A DEAR FRIEND

I had a spectacular day yesterday, that started with my eight mile meditation. That means I ran eight miles along Chicago's lakefront up from Monroe harbor into Lincoln Park and back again. I ran with a dear friend who has trained for many marathons with me since 2004.

The weather for the run was mild and sunny. The views of Lake Michigan were captivating and delicious.

The eight miler was over in a flash, in part due to conditioning and in large part due to fine conversation.

We finished the run with a trip to the marathoner's coffee shop, the Corner Bakery at Monroe and Wabash. I had a vision of the post-run treat: a tangy lemon bar (hopefully a fresh one) and some fresh steaming coffee. It was heavenly. I can still taste the tart lemon a day later.

Then home to clean up and chores.

Then off to Oak Park to visit one of my dearest friends, Dick Kelly, who is very very ill. Dick is bed-ridden with more ailments than I can count.

We visited for a couple of hours as if nothing was different. I didn't want them to be different. I never want any of my friends to leave my company or their loved ones.

Dick and I had met in Democratic politics in 1973 in that amazing eighteen month period in which I met my wife to be and many of my dearest friends for the next thirty-five years.

Dick has lived a life of great energy and a passion for social justice. He and my wife Beth were cut from the same mold, Catholics who cared all about love and forgiveness, the building of community and alleviating suffering and nothing about the reactionary leadership of their Church.

As I told my running buddy the story of Dick's life as a civil rights' activist in the South and in Chicago in the 60's and 70's, an activist in anti-war, union and other progressive causes, an athlete with a sweet fade away jumper and a good husband and family man, I was telling the story of someone I admired. I admire generous people who live authentic lives. Dick is one of those people. Living generously for others came as naturally as breathing for him.

I also admire Dick because he always had a boyish side to him---a fun-loving openness, a wonderful sense of humor and a zest for the richness of life.

Dick has hundreds of friends. I am happy to have been one of them.


Voltaire

1 comment:

  1. I very much enjoyed hearing about Dick during that spectacular run. He definitely sounds like a person I, too, would be proud to call my friend - someone not afraid to raise hell for a good cause. We need more people in this world to embrace that mindset and speak up for what's right and challenge those things that are not.

    ReplyDelete