Saturday, January 9, 2010

A Writer's Voice

I have been taking creative writing classes, doing some writing in different genres and hanging around writers, dramatists and other artists since June of 2005. Like the rest of my life this has been thrilling.

Often, I heard the phrase "writer's voice." The more I read, the more I write and the more I think about the most important issues in a life, the easier it is for me to discern a writer's voice.

I start almost every day during the business week with some reading at 3:45 AM (CST) in my writing room with a steaming cup of coffee at my side. I don't always know what I will read when I enter that room. This week I picked up Brenda Ueland's Strength to Your Sword Arm.

This book is a goldmine and its author a saint. Read one essay in this book and you will immediately understand the concept of a "writer's voice."

Brenda Ueland is in a friendly warm conversation with her readers. She writes with a fine hopeful view of life that will immediately boost your spirits and bring a smile to your face.

There is no better writer's voice extant.

And I should know since in my first life in 18th century France no one wrote more than me.


Voltaire

No comments:

Post a Comment